When we saw Jora and Bryan's immaculate San Diego home in a recent house tour at Apartment Therapy, we honestly didn't think it looked like the sort of place that would have an organic garden and some feathered friends. It was so clean, so modern, so sleek — the very picture of Southern Californian perfection! But it turns out that you can have a modern masterpiece of a home and
keep chickens: these home-owners should be on a poster for urban farming!
We talked a lot about chickens last week, but only in the context of meat. How about chickens for eggs? You know that I sighed a bit over this house tour; I am quite envious of this big back yard and snug little chicken coop. Think of all the eggs Jora and Bryan must be getting from their chicken flock.
Jora says that the vegetable garden and this chicken coop are their proudest DIYs in their beautiful home. We just love that this lovely, quite stunning home has a chicken coop out back!
• See the full tour: Jora and Bryan's MidCentury Organic Remodel
at Apartment Therapy
Do you have chickens? Check out some guides and ideas for urban chicken-raising below:
More Urban Chickens:
• Urban Agriculture: Raising Chickens in New York City
- A Q&A with Owen Taylor, livestock coordinator at Just Food. This is a great primer on raising chickens in the city.
• Good Food with Evan Kleiman: Raising Chickens in Your Backyard
- A few more tips and some good comments from our readers, too.
• Chickens in the City
- A link via Re-Nest to a slideshow of urban chicken coops.
(Images: Jora and Bryan)