Many of us spent the holiday weekend pigging out (or, in our case, trying to avoid Cinnabon at the airport). And then we return to... Italian Week! Pasta! Parmesan! Pizza! Phew. Don't worry; there are plenty of Italian dishes that emphasize fresh vegetables, fish, greens and, yes, even pasta that's light and healthy. Here are eight that look good to us.
This is a perfect time of year to cook in a Mediterranean style. Roast a good piece of fish or chicken and top it with the sweet little cherry tomatoes or a sauté of zucchini with some fresh herbs and good olive oil. Make a pasta with no-cook tomato sauce (one of our favorite things to do with summer tomatoes) and add a few chunks of fresh mozzarella and lots of basil.
• 1. Slow-Cooked Tomato and Herb White Beans, from the Kitchn.
• 2. Multi-Grain Pasta with Sicilian Salsa Verde, Cabbage, and Haricots Verts, from Bon Appétit.
• 3. Minestrone Soup, Full of Leafy Greens, from the Kitchn.
• 4. Linguini with Shrimp and Lemon Oil, from Food Network.
• 5. Roasted Black Sea Bass with Tomato and Olive Salad, from Gourmet.
• 6. Eggplant Caprese with Grilled Tomato and Basil Vinaigrette, from Bon Appétit.
• 7. Roasted Vegetable Panzanella, from Gourmet.
• 8. Turkey Meatballs over Broccoli Rabe, from the Kitchn.
Related: Mediterranean Escape! Wines of Corsica, Sardinia, and Sicily
(Images: Faith Durand; Lisa Hubbard/Bon Appétit; Elizabeth Passarella; Food Network; Mikkel Vang/Gourmet; Tina Rupp/Bon Appétit; Romulo Yanes/Gourmet)