When we think meatballs in soup, we think of Italian wedding soup, with its light, parmesan-flecked broth and soft leaves of escarole floating alongside tender, gumball-sized meatballs. It's perfect for a cool night. But we found several other recipes with little bites of meatball in the bowl, from fluffy chicken-ricotta to a spicy mexican version.
Making a batch of itty bitty meatballs (we suggest itty bitty; they'll cook much faster) really doesn't take a lot of time, but if you're looking for a shortcut, you could certainly use pre-made frozen ones.
• 1. Italian Wedding Soup, from the Kitchn. A classic recipe, with ribbons of escarole (or kale) and savory cheese.
• 2. Chicken Meatball and Tortellini Noodle Soup, from Tyler Florence. A light, easy broth with meatballs and store-bought tortellini.
• 3. Chicken and Ricotta Meatballs in Broth, from Everyday Food. Light and fluffy—this looks almost like matzoh ball soup to us.
• 4. Tortilla Meatball Soup, from Cooking Light. Mmm, chipotle, cilantro, corn, and crispy tortillas.
• 5. Italian Egg Drop Soup with Meatballs, from Every Day with Rachael Ray. This is a favorite in our house; it has whisper-thin swirls of egg and escarole, and it's great left over.
Anyone have another favorite?
Related: Cookbook Recipe: Udon Soup with Chicken Meatballs
(Images: Sara Kate Gillingham-Ryan; tylerflorence.com; marthastewart.com; John Autry/Cooking Light; Levi Brown/Rachael Ray)