It's that time of year: Time for lemon verbena, my favorite summer herb. It's growing like a weed in my garden, so I've been looking for more ways to use it. Here's the latest: Lemon verbena gin and tonic.
Lemon verbena has a sweet lemon fragrance that blends beautifully with a crisp gin and tonic. I have been muddling a handful of lemon verbena leaves with the gin (like Nora does with other botanicals here
), or shaking up the gin and lemon verbena with ice in a shaker. Top it off with a splash of tonic, and it's a fresh version of my favorite summer cocktail.
Do you do this with other herbs or botanicals? Mint? Basil? This cucumber-rosemary gin and tonic is a great one to try, too.
Here are a few more posts on lemon verbena:
• Hot Drink for Summer Evenings: Lemon Verbena Tisane
• Recipe: Lemon Verbena Simple Syrup
• Recipe: Plum Sorbet with Lemon Verbena Cream
• Seasonal Recipe Spotlight: Lemon Verbena
• What Should We Do With Our Lemon Verbena?
Related: From the Garden: Five Lemon-Scented Herbs
(Images: Faith Durand)