We're going to be talking about all sorts of desserts this week (it's Dessert Week!), but we think our favorite kind of goodies are the ones made with lemon. There's something so fresh and bright about lemon desserts with a tang that balances out the sweetness. We've featured lots of lemon desserts here at The Kitchn - here are 20 of our favorites. CAKES & PIE
1. Lemon-Scented Pull-Apart Loaf from Leite's Culinaria - So crazy good that it will disappear in minutes!
2. Lemon Spongettes - It's not quite a pudding but not quite a cake, either. It's a...Spongette.
3. Ina Garten's Lemon Cake - A layer cake that includes the zest of about seven lemons, and a syrup that puts it over the top.
4. Lemon Yogurt Cake with Ginger-Thyme Syrup - Similar to Ina's recipe, but with the added kick of ginger and thyme.
5. Meyer Lemon and Walnut Cake with Honey Syrup - A cake that may win over fruitcake haters.
6. Meyer Lemon Shaker Pie - Simplicity is this pie's crowning glory: jammy, tart, sweet, brilliant Meyer lemons spilling out of a flaky, buttery crust.
7. D.I.Y. Candied Lemon Peel - This project makes a beautiful garnish for cakes and pies.
COOKIES & BARS
8. Ultra-Chewy Lemon Coconut Cookies - A foolproof chewy cookie, minus the chocolate.
9. Smoked Lemon Bars - Smoked lemonade inspired this unique dessert.
10. Ultimate Lemon Butter Bars from Rose Levy Beranbaum - This recipe was developed to address two problems that lemon bars are prone to: A topping that is not firm enough, and a base that is too soggy.
11. Lemon Melting Moments - Intensely flavored bite-size cookies.
12. Mini Molasses Cookies with Lemon Filling - The dark spice of these cookies is brightened by a tart lemon filling that softens the sandwiches into sunny, chewy, one-bite treats.
13. D.I.Y. Lemon Filling - This is a great filling for pre-baked tartlets and sandwiched between cookies.
ICE CREAM & PUDDING
14. Extra-Quick No-Cook Meyer Lemon Ice Cream - This extra-quick ice cream recipe is nearly as simple as making whipped cream.
15. Creamy, Tangy Lemon Ice Cream - A creamy, tangy lemon ice cream that's hassle free.
16. Lemon Rice Pudding - If you like rice pudding at all, this is for you.
17. Spiked Lemon Ginger Sorbet - Like those lemon shakeups at the street fair or the lemonade on your mom's back porch, cold and beaded with condensation, this sorbet carries all that nostalgic sweetness of high summer.
FRUIT & CHEESE
18. Roasted Pears with Lemon Stilton, Walnuts and Honey - One of the quickest, easiest, and most elegant desserts we've ever stumbled upon.
19. White Stilton with Lemon - We don't serve dessert cheeses often, but we were immediately smitten by its sweet tartness, almost like cheesecake infused with lemon.
20. Lemon and Honey Fruit Salad - Celebrate the sun with this simple fruit salad of melon, strawberries, and bananas, tossed with a tangy dressing of lemon and honey and just a hint of nutmeg.
(Images: See linked posts for full credits)
(Originally published April 30, 2010)