Day 19: Make a plan for your leftovers.
This morning I had a moment of confusion when, despite having just unloaded the dishwasher, I saw that my storage container drawer remained all but empty. Then I remembered the dozen or so containers of leftovers in the fridge. Ah.
A quick survey of my leftovers this morning revealed the following:
- A midsize container of Coconut Red Lentil Soup
- A small container of cooked French lentils
- A small container of cooked farro
- A small container of leftover tofu
- Half a cooked sweet potato
- A head of romaine, looking a little worse for the wear but still edible
- About a cup's worth of bagged spinach
- Various small containers of half lemons, limes, apple slices, and a mango
- 3 homemade corn tortillas, wrapped in tin foil
All in all, the leftovers situation could be a lot worse. I made the lentil soup on Monday, and it's sustained us through a few lunches and dinners. (Although, admittedly, I'm getting a little tired of eating it. In retrospect I should have immediately frozen half the batch.)
Looking at my other leftovers — greens, lentils, tofu, farro, fruit — I see the makings of a salad for lunch today! As we've said before, you really don't need a recipe for this kind of salad. I'll throw in some roasted almonds, too.
This reminds me: ever since I saw Faith's KLUDD board from IKEA which she keeps near her fridge, I've been wanting to get one to keep track of what's in the fridge, freezer, and what we need to pick up on our next grocery store run. I'm headed to IKEA this weekend, so managing leftovers is about to get even easier.
How did you fare with leftovers this week? Any strategies or tips you have for making the most of them?