Onions' sweet and savory tastes and pungent, tear-inducing sharpness combine to create quiet depths of flavor in so many dishes — but onions often don't get the credit. They play happily in the background, yielding the spolight to a dish's more glamorous ingredients. So here, in early spring, when fresh baby alliums are just coming up from the ground, is a roundup of recipes that each put the onion family front and center. From leek soup to onion and citrus salad, if you love onions, these are recipes for you!
LUNCH & DINNER
• 9 Chicken with Shallot-Apricot Sauce
• 10 Florida Butter Beans with Caramelized Onions and Bacon
• 11 Cheese and Onion Sandwich Recipe
• 12 Leeks Braised with Wine and Garlic
• 13 Lemon Frittata with Leeks and Goat Cheese
• 14 Mushroom and Leek Risotto
What's your favorite way to eat onions? Roasted? Caramelized? Sliced in a salad? Cooked down low and slow in a curry?
(Images: See linked posts for full image credits.)