The National Trust recommends growing lettuce, radishes, beets, chard, and zucchini, among other vegetables. We're not sure one could be self-sufficient with a window box garden, but it's an option worth exploring for those without balconies, yards, or allotments.
Here are some sites we've found with further advice. And we would love to hear from any readers who have tried growing vegetables in window boxes. Which foods were successful, or not? Do you have any tips for containers, plant spacing, etc.?
• Turn 600 acres of window ledges into veggie patches (National Trust)
• Window box vegetable growing for gardeners with limited space (Allotments.ie)
• The window box allotment (SAGA)
• Container gardening, with advice for specific plants (Selfsufficientish)
• Grow Your Own Vegetables Windowsill Challenge (iGrowVeg)