- Fairfield, IA
- Square Feet:
- What makes your small kitchen so cool:
- Our initial decision to re-do the kitchen was based solely on practicality and making a small kitchen work for two cooks. What it evolved into was an incredibly bright and cheerful retro-kitchen ("after" photos courtesy of Radim Schreiber) that looks just like it might have back in 1939, complete with a salvaged, formerly-used-as-a-goat-trough vintage sink. It's the happiest room in our home!
- Describe a challenge you've overcome or a smart resource you've found for your kitchen.:
- We made a radical long-term commitment to our kitchen and home when we ditched the full-size fridge and put an under-counter fridge where a dishwasher had been (we already had a chest freezer in the basement). This change allowed us to build additional cabinets and countertops around the stove, which previously had no prep or storage space around it. We kept the original cabinets (and the charm they gave the space) to keep the retro feel to our Minimal Traditional home. Adding fresh paint and a new floor dramatically opened the space up as well.
- What's your favorite meal to cook here?:
- Two opposite ends of the spectrum: a spicy pulled pork that cooks in the oven for 7 hours and a raw, vegan chocolate "cheesecake"! Or really, any meal I get to cook with my husband.
More posts in Small Cool Kitchens 2012
KitchnVideo of the Day