Like this entry? Favorite it below!
- San Diego, CA
- Square Feet:
- What makes your small kitchen so cool:
- Three things: 1) The galley layout, which maximizes the small space and means everything is always in reach. 2) Our landlord's decision to knock out a wall and move the fridge out to the dining room, which sounds strange but opens the kitchen up immensely. And 3) The east-facing skylight, which brings in lots of natural light, especially early in the mornings.
- Describe a challenge you've overcome or a smart resource you've found for your kitchen.
- When we moved in, the kitchen had no counter space on either side of the stove. We immediately set out to Ikea and hacked a freestanding base cabinet to include a butcher block countertop and a tiny raised bar, which has become the workhorse in our kitchen: it makes pulling ingredients out of our awkwardly placed fridge a cinch and provides a place to rest a drink, a safe spot for a laptop or cookbook, and a place for friends to lean on and chat when we're cooking for a crowd. The best part is that it's freestanding, so we can take it with us when we leave.
- What's your favorite meal to cook here?
- We spend a lot of time in the kitchen and enjoy almost every meal, but if we had to pick a favorite, it'd be the few times a year we cue up Dr. John, make a batch of Sazeracs, and simmer an enormous pot of Chuck Taggart's gumbo for all our friends.
See all entries
More posts in this series
Small Cool Kitchens 2013