All my favorite Mexican and South American dishes, but healthier and better for me? Heck, yeah! If you love your enchiladas and pulled pork tacos perhaps a little too much, never fear. Ingrid Hoffman of the Cooking Channel's Simply Delicioso is here to help us keep it spicy and full of flavor while lightening up those much-loved Latin foods.
• Who wrote it: Ingrid Hoffman
• Who published it: Celebra
• Number of recipes: Over 150
• Recipes for right now: Turkey Nachos; Sweet Potato and Chicken Soup; Mango, Avocado, and Spinach Salad with Poppy Seed Dressing; Enchiladas Suizas; Yucatan-Style Pulled Pork; Mexican Meatloaf with Tequila Ketchup; Pork-Apricot Fried Rice; Tuno and Mango Tacos; Smoky Chipotle Shrimp
• Other highlights: Ok, if you are a Mexican and Latin food purist — if, say, the idea of "Tequila Ketchup" makes you cringe — then this book is not for you. That's fine.
But if you love all the flavors of Latin cuisine and think you could get into the idea of quinoa in your chili, then you will definitely dig this book. The recipes are inventive and original, incorporating modern ingredients like whole wheat tortillas and ground turkey into these Latin dishes. Some of the dishes are riffs on classics, like pozole and yucatan pulled pork, while others give dishes familiar to a US audience, like burgers and muffins, a Latin spin. Everybody wins.
This book also gets points for approachability. The recipes range from quick breakfasts to ones that could be served at a dinner party, and yet they all look very easy to do in an average home kitchen without needing to pick up a lot of new ingredients or equipment. I appreciate that.
This isn't a definitive guide to Latin cuisine, but it's not meant to be. It's a fun, light-hearted cookbook with some good ideas for what to make for dinner.
• Who would enjoy this book? People who love Latin cuisine in all its various forms, people who want to add some lighter recipes to their weekly meal repertoire
Find the book at your local library, independent bookstore, or Amazon: Latin D'Lite by Ingrid Hoffman
• Visit the author's website: Ingrid Hoffman
Apartment Therapy Media makes every effort to test and review products fairly and transparently. The views expressed in this review are the personal views of the reviewer and this particular product review was not sponsored or paid for in any way by the manufacturer or an agent working on their behalf. However, the manufacturer did give us the product for testing and review purposes.
(Images: Emma Christensen)