- Kristin and Brian
- Los Angeles, CA
- Square Feet:
- What makes your small kitchen so cool:
- We took a boring, 80's condo kitchen and DIYed as much as we could, which includes an IKEA kitchen with plenty of custom touches. Before it was a kitchen with a peninsula and cabinets overhead that were constantly in the way (so much so that everyone who was in it hit their head on the poorly placed overhead cabinets) and we opened it up and made it a U-shaped kitchen. Also, we wanted it to be a white kitchen without being boring, so we went the extra mile and put in Cambria counter tops and did every drywall surface in subway tile.
- Describe a challenge you've overcome or a smart resource you've found for your kitchen.
- The door in the middle of the kitchen is not ideal, but we made the best of it by hanging items on the back of the door. This door leads to the back stairwell and out to our garage and we definitely had to keep it there. It's amazing what you can hang on the back of a door! One of the big downfalls of an IKEA kitchen is there's no built-in spice rack option so we hacked our own version (see photos). Our under-cabinet lights are amazing! (http://www.environmentallights.com) They're only 1/4 inch thick which means our light valance was also very slim and allows us to maintain that precious counter-to-cabinet clearance.
- What's your favorite meal to cook here?
- I love baking anything/everything in this kitchen now that I have the space. I make a strawberry rhubarb crumble recipe that is always gone in a day or two.
More posts in this series
Small Cool Kitchens 2013
You are at the first post.