Welcome, everyone! Happy first day of spring, and first day of the first ever Kitchn Cure. There are over 200 of you signed up. Wow! This week we want to get you set-up by taking a very quick survey (after the jump), get you going on our Flickr page, and start you on the path of cleaning out your kitchen. We'll be borrowing from Week Two of the home sites' Cure, since that is when they usually tackle the kitchen.
Haven't joined yet? We'll keep the sign-up open for one more week (closing Thursday, March 27).
Already signed up and ready to go? Read on for this week's assignments.
This Week's Assignments
• Take the quick survey, below.
• Check out The Kitchn Cure Flickr Page and upload your "before" photos. Open those cupboards and refrigerator doors and dare to show us the state of things. If you want to highlight your pics, put your link in with your comments. This will allow us all to talk about one and learn from one another's project.
• Go through your refrigerator, cupboards, counter-tops and pantry and clean up your food clutter. The foods we have in our kitchens should be fresh and replenished frequently. Take a long hard look at that tin of wasabi powder you got on your trip to Japan three years ago. Re-consider the jar of preserved lemons you got as a wedding favor five years ago. It's brown, you have no idea how to use it, and it takes up energetic space in your kitchen. Toss it. Here are the basic guidelines for de-cluttering your food:
• if it has expired
• if it has not been used in the last 6-12 months
• if it has duplicates (combine containers if possible)
• Take all of what remains and wipe it down with a warm, moist cloth. For containers of oil, for example, that may have a film, you might need to use a cleanser (something earth-friendly diluted with warm water) to cut through the grease.
Here is the survey. Please, only take this survey if you've already officially signed up for the Cure.
All The Info
Welcome to The Kitchn's first ever Cure.
It's time, yes? The home sites have been doing Cures for a few seasons, and we're following their lead with this fancy new sign-up form, which will help us stay in touch with you and send you a diploma at the end of the process.
Just think, in eight weeks your kitchen will be clean, healthy and organized, and your cooking will be even more nourishing and delicious. Good luck and welcome to the Cure.
(The image above is from Jessica's Blue and Silver Flair, an entry in our Small Cool Kitchen 2007 contest.)