We love the look of neatly organized open storage, but it seems like it would be hard to keep things uncluttered and clean. Perhaps the fact that it's all open is motivation enough to keep shelves straightened and neat!
Michael's question yesterday about wall-mounted storage for flatware made us want to revisit this post and add a few more ideas for open storage. Take a look at some inspiration for open storage from past Apartment Therapy house tours. • Small Cool 2008 Entry Northwest #11: John's Mission Melange - Another shot from this kitchen, which you and we and everyone else flipped over in our unofficial kitchen vote earlier this week. Look at the milk jars, and the way that he fits so much into one cabinet. There is a LOT of food there, but it adds to the visual appeal of the kitchen in those glass jars.
• Small Cool 2008 Entry Midwest #18: Lacey's Comfortingly Eclectic - The classic pegboard approach. If it was good enough for Julia Child... We also like the Three Potato Four tea towels framed over the stove!
• Small Cool 2008 Entry Northwest #8: Maggie's Bombshelter - Another pegboard, and a well-edited set of pans.
• Small Cool 2008 Entry Southwest #17: Matthew's Cartoonist Corner - And for something completely different - a bicycle stored in the kitchen! What do you think about this?
• House Tour: Dan & Eszter's Eclectic Mid-Century Modern Home - Even as renters Dan and Eszter are able to infuse their kitchen with some character. We like this open shelf over the stove, using what would otherwise be a dead spot. They have quite a lot of essential cooking utensils and ingredients here - not to mention some great visual accents.
• House Tour: Paola & John's Converted Switch House - These gorgeous industrial cupboards are open (or glass-front). We like the semi-closed look a lot.
• Xing's Eclectic Bellevue Home - Another semi-closed option. It makes the kitchen feel a little lighter, a little more open while still hiding stuff.
• Sharon and Spencer's Danish & Dogs Domicile - OK, this one isn't really storage - but that cupboard over the sink for display is so lovely! We can picture it filled with spices and small kitchen tools, too. Great use of another potential dead spot in the kitchen.
• House Tour: Stuart Masters Modern Glamour - A before and after! Stuart's previous kitchen was tiny and yet still made a good use of open storage. We like how the pans hang over the pantry; this doubles up on space and keeps the clutter all in one area.
His new kitchen has open shelving with dishes on top and canisters lined up below.
Have you seen a particularly good implementation of open storage lately?