Look at this simply lovely farmhouse kitchen from Lori in Long Island. She has a busy life, with three kids (and an awfully cute dog, too) but she wanted her kitchen to be a place of serenity. She just finished renovating this old farmhouse kitchen on a budget, and she used a mixture of modern, serene colors and old-fashioned industrial fittings. Take a look, and find out more about how Lori likes to cook in this kitchen.
Calm, serene, and simple is my style. Busy crazy, hetic is my life. I live on the wonderful North Fork of Long Island, about two hours east of New York. I am a small shop owner, and mother of three. My goal was to design a kitchen for our family of five. It needed to be open, warm and simple with a little industrial flair.
The space had to be kid and dog friendly. Oh — did I mention that my budget was under 10K. Here are the photos of my farmhouse kitchen. I am pretty happy with how it turned out and so is my husband's wallet.
Kitchen Tour Questionnaire
1. What's your cooking style?
Simple, healthy, quick.
2. What inspires your kitchen?
Calming colors, open feeling, industrial elements.
3. Favorite tool or element?
My slow cooker.
4. Best cooking advice or tip you ever received?
Buy what's in season.
5. Biggest challenge in your kitchen?
Cooking an additional meal every day for my vegetarian 12 year old daughter.
6. Biggest indulgence:
A good bottle of wine
7. Dream tool or splurge:
All-Clad pots and pans. I purchased them one at a time - it took me three years to get a nice assortment.
8. What are you cooking this week?
Chicken breast & soy nuggets, rice and bean enchiladas, turkey burgers - veggie burgers, soup and salad, and corn beef for my Irish husband on St. Patty's Day. Friday is pizza night.
9. Desert island cookbook?
Can I have my Martha Stewart Everyday Food magazines?
10. Favorite meal cooked here:
I made an entire Thanksgiving for 20 and everything on the table was warm at the same time.
• My kitchen cabinets, shelves and bead board are from home depot. Manufactured by Kraft Maid - the style is called Thornton in maple with muslin finish.
• Kitchen island is an old hardware store counter - I had a galvanized top fabricated for $125
• Counter tops are faux marble formica.
• Lighting is vapor proof industrial lighting
Thank you so much for sharing your beautiful kitchen, Lori!
• Check out Lori's shop, online or on Long Island: White Flower Farmhouse