White might be the most popular color choice in kitchens. It speaks of clean, of modern, of bright light. It recedes and lets the food take center stage, and it's also extremely versatile: a white kitchen can be modern, retro, contemporary, or traditional. And even though white isn't even officially a color, the predominance of colorlessness doesn't have to mean a sterile or boring kitchen.
Here's a look at some of our favorite white kitchens from across Apartment Therapy. There's a wide range of styles, and there are some inspiring splashes of color that show how you can dress up an otherwise plain white kitchen.
1. Gallery Kitchen by Anna Irinarchos
- Pops of green keep this from looking too sterile or cold. Check out the great vertical pantry too.
2. Stevie & Jason's Design Philosophy - Here's a good example of how to liven up an otherwise ordinary white rental kitchen. Spots of color on the walls and floor make the white look purposeful and clean.
3. Before and After: A $1400 IKEA Kitchen Makeover - This kitchen looks a little washed out in these photos, but we bet that in person this feels light and airy.
4. Before and After: Victoria's Kitchen - Another place where the cook decided white was better than color.
5. Giulia's Light and Airy - A lovely, traditional galley kitchen where the sun makes all that white just glow.
6. Tim Sloan's Box of Tricks - A clever white kitchen in London, with unexpected pops of red.
7. Chez Larsson - Benita's beautiful (and organized!) Swedish kitchen.
8. Phoebe's Crisp Organic - Winner of our Smallest Coolest Kitchens 2007 contest. Warm, inviting, and stunningly renovated.
9. Amelie and John's London Warehouse Conversion - A more vintage feel, with high ceilings and an old wood table.
10. Debbie and Olivier's Outside In - An unusually open kitchen with white and wood mixed.
11. Jim and Kari's Evanston Modern - Beautifully cottage-like, but still sleek and clean.
12. Eric Haeberli of We Love Jam - Eric's bright minimal space is just a backdrop for his crazy and inventive laboratory of jams, cookies, and products from around the world.
13. James and Rui's LVL Home - Just two pops of red, but what a strong impression they make in this open kitchen.
14. Shannon and Emmett's From Factory to Family - We love the vintage feel in this kitchen!
15. Lisa Marie and Stephen's Antiques Meet Mid-Century - This kitchen is warmed up with small vintage touches and a rug (and a cute dog too).
16. Lucinda and Nicholas' Transformed Tenement - Those glossy white cupboards are really set off by the dark blue tile.
17. Sherry and Miguel's Marvimon House - Wow! Does this kitchen even qualify as white? The light color lets those baroque lamps and barstools have all the attention.
18. Kelly's Craftsman Comfort - Modern and warm. A dream kitchen.
19. Shannon Lamden of Aunty Cookie - Another example of blue tile and colorful details in an otherwise white kitchen.
20. Our Kitchen/ Office Space - A dramatic transformation!
We're sure we've missed plenty of great white kitchens -- do you have any favorites to share?
Related: Kitchen Gallery: Orange Like a Clementine