Red is a strong color; a little goes a long way. It's also a popular color in the kitchen. It's the color of flame, of tomatoes, of ripe fruit. We see red in kitchen tools and tableware all the time -- and now we're going to look at some kitchens that make great use of this powerful color. Some use it sparingly, to liven up a monchromatic color scheme. Others go all out, with whole walls of crimson cabinets!
Come look, and tell us: do you have red in your kitchen? 1-2. East #22: Becky's Careful Color - This is a subtle use of red; just a couple pops to define the kitchen. (And I think I have that same pot.)
3. Pearl Lam's Shanghai Loft - Wow - this one is anything but subtle. Dizzy! Would you cook in here?
4. Kyle's Colorful Boston Perch - Kyle piled on bright red color with her red shelf, colorful textiles, and cushions on her built-in banquette.
5-6. Perry Street Duplex - Here's another bold red choice; the entire kitchen is glossy and wine-colored.
7. Little French Kitchens - This is a small, inexpensive modular kitchen from France.
8. Celeste's Mount Pleasant Loft - Red can easily be added to a kitchen with just a little can of paint. Paint around your white or wood cabinets and you have a strong statement -- even in a rental kitchen.
9. Artsy Family's Color is for Happiness - A favorite from the 2007 Fall Colors contest. Baby blue and dark red! This shows how well red can work in a more traditional context.
10. Stephanie & Bob's Primary Colors - And if you paint, you don't even need to do a whole wall. Look at this red stripe!
11. Red, White and Light Blue - Another red and blue combo, with red floors!
12. Emma's Affordable Mid Century Gem - Red countertops instead of floor, this time. We like the green and red; a good vintage look.
13. Anna's Old-and-New Newburgh Victorian - This bold black and white kitchen gets really defined by the spots of red.
14. Danielle & Erik's Canal-Front Flat - Love the cupboards and floor in this vibrant Dutch flat.
15. Daniel and Jason's Red, Grey, and Green Kitchen - A more orangey red, with shades of grey and green.
More Galleries of Kitchen Color:
(Top image: Joyce Dopkeen for The New York Times)