Design details aside, the kitchen is already a pretty comforting room of the home. All of our nourishment comes from this space, it is warmed by the oven and stovetop, and it is often a familiar room to friends and family for gathering together. But if you're looking to add a bit more comfort through design, here are a few ideas:
- Add a lamp: In addition to overhead lighting, a shaded table lamp can make the kitchen feel softer more intimate.
- Provide a seat...:: A place to sit in the kitchen makes it more inviting for people to join you as you prep a meal. It's also a perfect place to grab a cup of coffee.
- ...Or bring in the whole dining table: Bring the dining table front and center in the kitchen. It's a terrific extra surface during prep time and lively dinners will warm the space. This is a great solution for small apartments and houses without separate dining areas.
- Use the fireplace: Not an easily-added detail, use the fireplace if you've got it, lucky duck!
- Warm with wood: A little natural wood is a warming touch. Think as small as a cutting board to as large as countertops or even the backsplash as pictured up top.
Related: Lamps and Wing Chairs: Living Room Details in the Kitchen
(Images: Jesse's Tuned In Space, Molly Anderson, Elle Interior Sweden, Beth Bates, Keller+Keller/Country Living)
- Hang a string of lights: Take inspiration from the warmth of holiday decor and add a string to the kitchen. It could even be a year-round fixture!