Kitchn reader Stephanie recently sent us her budget kitchen remodel, and we were so impressed we had to share it with you. Although she did have natural light coming through the skylight, her 'before' kitchen was a little dull and colorless, and certainly not the space she'd imagined! So, with a budget of under $4000, she completely transformed it into a warm, welcoming place. See the 'After' photos below:
Hello wood floors! After repainting the bottom cabinets grey and replacing the hardware, she installed a white subway tile backsplash with dark grey grout — now her favorite feature! As she wrote on her blog, other updates included:
- New countertops. It used to be Formica, and now it's Glacier White Corian on the main stretch, and butcher block by the microwave.
- New sink. Went from a 5 inch two bowl to a 9 inch one bowl.
- New faucet. Went from short to crazy tall!
- Microwave is now up on a shelf, not wasting valuable space.
- Ceiling and walls painted pale grey.
- New track lighting.
- Open shelving repainted white. Still need to do the inside of the dish area open shelving.
Stephanie says she's still hoping to get a new range and will eventually paint the upper cabinets and put new hardware on them, but in the meantime, this is quite a lovely improvement! Total cost: $3,700.
Read More at Stephanie's Blog → Stories, Photographs, Recipes, and More Straight from the Dirty South
Thanks for sharing, Stephanie!
(Images: Stephanie Zell)