Ice Cream Chef: Andrea
What inspired this recipe? I've been obsessed with key lime pie all summer, so I thought why not turn it into a refreshing ice cream?
Tastetester comments and full recipe after the jump. Take a look, then vote here!
Tastetester Comments: From the boyfriend: "Wow! This ice cream is so rich and creamy, yet the tartness of the lime still comes through. I spent all afternoon eating it."
Key Lime Dream Ice Cream
Yields: about 3 1/2 cups
If you're lucky enough to find them (unlike me..), substitute key limes for the Persian limes. Cook's Illustrated says the taste is the same between the two, so don't fret about calling it key lime...
1 1/2 cups half & half
pinch of salt
1 teaspoon grated ginger
1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
2/3 cups freshly squeezed lime juice
Zest of three limes
1 tablespoon limoncello (optional)
2 teaspoons sugar
8 to 10 graham crackers
In a heavy-duty medium hot, bring half & half, pinch of salt and ginger almost to a boil. Separate egg whites from egg yolks. (Refrigerate the whites.) In a medium stainless steel bowl, add egg yolks and condensed milk. Whisk to combine. Slowly, whisk in scalding hot half & half. Return entire mixture to pot and bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Once mixture coats the back of the spoon, take off the heat. Add lime juice and zest.
Transfer to heat-proof container. Bring to room temperature. Then, place in fridge to cool.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Meanwhile, with an electric mixer, beat egg whites and sugar to soft peaks. On a baking sheet fitted with a silt pat, spread egg whites in one thick layer. Place in oven, and cook until browned, 10 to 15 minutes, checking occasionally.
Cut egg whites in chunks.They will be a marshmallowy texture. Crumble graham crackers into big chunks.
Process custard mixture according to ice cream maker's instructions. Once ice cream is churned, mix in marshmallowy pieces and graham crackers.
Contest InformationGo here for the full scoop on the Best Lick! 2008 contest.
The Entries So FarHere's a list of all the entries so far. Click the thumbnail to go to the entry.
• Roasted Apricot Ice Cream with Almond Praline Ripple
• Chocolate Gelato with Salted Caramel Pecans
• Coconut Peach Ice Cream with Toasted Almonds
• Cinnamon Raisin Bagel Ice Cream
• Blueberry Brie Tart Ice Cream
• Grape Ice Cream
• Basil Infused Ginger and Cinnamon Ice Cream
• Rosemary-Lime Sparkle Ice Cream
• Mango Lassi Frozen Yogurt with Pistachio Biscotti Bits
• Visions of Sugar Plum Ice Cream
• Cherry Cheesecake Ice Cream
• Apple Chardonnay Ice Cream with Bulgarian Sheep Cheese
• Mint Raspberry with a Chocolate Swirl
• Spice Cream with a Twist
• Peach Goat Cheese Ice Cream with Salted, Roasted Pistachios and a Balsamic Bay Leaf Reduction
• Pink Lemonade Ice Cream
• No Churn Lychee and Raspberry Swirl Ice Cream with Merlot Poached Pears
• Janine's Blueberry Basil Ice Cream
• Grand Marnier Apricot Ice Cream With Almonds
• Ovaltine Chocolate Chunk Chunk Ice Cream
• Blueberry Coffeecake Ice Cream "Cone"
• Coconut and Thai Basil Ice Cream
• Mango Chili Ice Cream
• Creamy Espresso Crunch
• Key Lime Dream Ice Cream