When you're looking for a quick supper, a bag of orzo is a good thing to have on hand. This small, rice-shaped pasta cooks up quickly and adds a nice, chewy texture to your dishes. It's a classic for pasta salads and soups, and can be baked in casseroles or cooked 'risotto-style' in broth. While orzo is rice-shaped, it is very different than rice in taste and texture. Still, it can substitute as a side starch if rice is too time-consuming.
Read on for a round up of orzo dishes from The Kitchn.
Note: Be careful not to substitute orzo for just any pasta in a dish. Its small shape and chewy texture calls for the other ingredients to be smaller in size as well. It really shines when cooked in a chicken broth, for example, with maybe a handful of peas and finished with a sprinkling of green onion and a few herbs.
Orzo Recipes from The Kitchn
• Orzo with Fava Beans and Mint
• Dinner Quick: Arugula with Orzo and Garden Tomatoes
• Orzo with Caramelized Vegetables and Ginger
• Orzo Salad with Rosemary Almonds and Sun-Dried Tomatoes
• Olga's Orzo with Summer Vegetables and Bacon
• Erica's Asian-Inspired Chicken and Orzo Salad
What's your favorite way to serve orzo? Any favorite brands?
Related: Dinner Quick: Pasta with Feta, Broccoli, and Sausage
(Images: Emily Ho, Chieftain WIld Rice)