Recipe: Parmesan Polenta with Eggs and Roasted Mushrooms
How long does it take? 20 mins (including prep)
Why is it a favorite meal? This is my default lazy dish. Roasting the mushrooms bring out big woodsy flavors that play off the creaminess of the cheesy polenta and soft cooked egg, making this dish versatile enough for impromptu dinner guests or a 'fancy' meal for just one.
Parmesan Polenta with Eggs and Roasted Mushrooms
Serves 3 (main course portions)
1 lb mushrooms
1/8 c olive oil
1/4 tsp pepper flakes
1/4 tsp coarse salt
1/2 c polenta
1 c milk
1 c water
1/2 c shredded Parmesan or Romano cheese
chives for garnish
1. Preheat oven to 475.
2. Chop mushrooms into 1/2 inch pieces.
3. Toss mushrooms with oil, pepper flakes, and salt on a baking sheet.
4. Spread in single layer and roast until browned, about 10 mins.
5. Meanwhile, whisk polenta, milk, water, and salt together in saucepan and bring to a boil over medium heat, covered.
6. After reaching a boil, turn heat to low and let sit with lid cracked for 15 minutes.
7. While polenta is cooking, heat nonstick skillet over medium heat and crack the eggs so that they are sunny side up.
8. Cook about a minute and then add a few tablespoons of water to the skillet. Water will sizzle - cover so the yolks steam and set to your liking. I like mine somewhat viscous so I wait for the steamed yolks to 'skin' over with egg white. This will happen naturally with the method above.
9. Mix Parmesean into polenta, plate on a dish, spoon mushrooms over and top with egg. Garnish with snipped chives. Eat and enjoy!
Thanks Kasia, and good luck! Readers, give Kasia a thumbs up if you like this recipe!