It's not often that a culinary heroine is tops at the box office over a big summer weekend — but that's exactly what happened this weekend. Julie & Julia was in the the top films, a nice moment for all of us home cooks watching our own obsessions play out across the big screen.
Details, plus an op-ed from Dan Barber about tomato blight (the culprit may be close to home), the latest bacon-ized food at the Indiana State Fair, and five foods that fix halitosis.
• Julie & Julia Second at the Box Office - It raked in 20.1 million.
• You Say Tomato, I Say Agricultural Disaster - Are home gardeners (and big box retailers) responsible for the devastating tomato blight?
• Five foods that fix bad breath - They're not just peppermint.
• Indiana State Fair food favorites - Including chocolate-dipped bacon.
• In downturn, cities grow fresh food where they can - More and more vacant lots are being used for farming in some cities.
Any other big food news this morning that we may have missed?
(Image: Sony Pictures)