- Pittsfield, MA
- Square Feet:
- What makes your small kitchen so cool:
- I measured it twice to be sure it was "small." It seems much larger. It's a happy union of 2013 function and 1909 charm.
- Describe a challenge you've overcome or a smart resource you've found for your kitchen.:
- Ever see a kitchen with an 8' wall and a 10' ceiling? My 1978 condo conversion kitchen had metal cabinets (orange inside!) and stainless countertops. It was long on storage, short on work space, and very short on charm. My 1909 dining room had coffered ceiling, leaded glass windows, a fireplace. And a white plywood wall. Taking down the wall meant losing the upper kitchen cabinets, but gave me a chance to expand the counters and to create a beautiful functional room. The new cabinets match the antique woodwork; the countertops match the fireplace and are 32" wide, giving me extra work space, The washer and dryer, which made the room seem even smaller, were moved out of the kitchen, and the space where the hookups had been is now a broom closet.
- What's your favorite meal to cook here?:
- I enjoy my kitchen no matter what I cook, but I don't just cook there! The countertops give me plenty of room to wrap packages, repot geraniums, and iron curtains. I even assembled a chest of drawers.
More posts in Small Cool Kitchens 2013
KitchnVideo of the Day