- John and Sarah
- Richmond, VA
- Square Feet:
- What makes your small kitchen so cool:
- Everything is made by hand.
- Describe a challenge you've overcome or a smart resource you've found for your kitchen.
- Problem: A dated galley kitchen with 5 doorways, bad flow, minimal storage space, only 22.5 square feet of usable counter space, 28" between opposing counters and visually closed in with bad lighting. Solution: Gut and remodel the kitchen. New furring strips against the exterior wall moved it over 3" adding an additional 5 sq. ft. to the room. The wall between the kitchen and dining room was removed allowing for a center island. The rear door was relocated and replaced with a window, allowing for an L shaped counter and to move the refrigerator and adding in a slide out pantry, increasing storage and increasing the usable counter space by 11.5 sq ft to 34. All of the cabinets are reclaimed wood including Old Growth White Oak (from Sarah's grandfathers barn) that the cabinets are faced with. The homeowners did the plumbing, electrical, tile, cast concrete counters, wood work, paint and of course, the design - themselves.
- What's your favorite meal to cook here?
- Tomato sandwiches, it's a lot of work for such a simple thing.
Small Cool Kitchens,
Small Space Living