- Jocelyn & Roger
- Studio City, CA
- Square Feet:
- What makes your small kitchen so cool:
- With its original 1958 knotty pine cabinets, tile counter tops and beautiful turquoise Western Holly gas range, our kitchen is a "classic". When we bought our house in 2009, we had fleeting thoughts of a complete redo, but this kitchen felt like the kitchens we grew up in. It's so functional we've only added a few retro touches like the "Sputnik" light fixture, a new fridge, and a vinyl composite tile floor that we designed to accent the turquoise range.
- Describe a challenge you've overcome or a smart resource you've found for your kitchen.
- The previous owners, who lived in our house for 50 years, had installed a Bosch washer and dryer in the kitchen. While very convenient to have them in the house (as opposed to a laundromat or the garage) they were an eyesore. We had a knotty pine cabinet built to keep the appliances hidden when not in use and added a stainless steel countertop which added nicely to our counter space. Should we ever choose to move the washer and dryer, the counter becomes a nifty breakfast bar.
- What's your favorite meal to cook here?
- Our favorite meals are fresh modern updates of the classics we grew up loving; using just picked organic produce from our garden and the six mature fruit trees in our backyard. Next up pear tarts and pear preserves from the August Asian pear harvest.
Small Cool Kitchens,
Small Space Living