Recipe: "Planned" Leftover Burritos
How long does it take? 10 min prep, 20 min cook
Why is it a favorite meal? I can change it based on my mood, what I have on hand, and who is eating it.
"Planned" Leftover Burritos
This is a "planned" leftover burrito because I usually have some sort of meat - roasted chicken, steak, fish, etc. - that I need to have a way to finish off, so I build it into my planning. You can substitute a rotisserie chicken or any other meat, use canned beans if you don't keep a pot of beans in the fridge as we do, leave the meat out entirely, or substitute brown rice to up the nutrition quotient.
2 tbsp olive oil
1 lb leftover meat - here I use chicken I roasted yesterday
1/2 cup chopped or grated fresh onion
1/4 tbsp chili powder (for mild seasoning - increase if you like it hotter)
1 tsp garlic salt
1/2 tsp kosher salt
1/4 tsp onion powder
1/4 tsp crushed red pepper
1/4 tsp dried oregano
1/2 tsp paprika
1-1/2 tsp ground cumin
1/4 tsp ground black pepper
1 - 2 cups pre-cooked (or canned) beans
1 cup rice
Flour tortillas (or whole wheat, etc.)
Tomatoes, Avocados and other veggies as you like
1 cup grated cheese of choice - I used Colby Jack
1. Start water for rice while you measure spices for the taco seasoning and shred the chicken.
2. Heat skillet and add olive oil. Heat chicken until warmed through then cover in taco seasoning. In the meantime, you'll have started your rice.
3. Add 1/2 cup of water and bring to a boil, stirring to evenily coat the chicken. Remove chicken from skillet.
4. Add onion to pan until it begins to turn golden. Add beans and cook until warm.
5. Chop the tomato, avocado and any other vegetables you want to add, and grate the cheese.
6. Fill burrito with chicken, beans & rice, cheese & vegetables and toast in dry warm pan to seal. Add cheese and garnish with sour cream.
Thanks, and good luck! Readers, give a thumbs up if you like this recipe!