Jean Greenfield's husband did most of the major work on her beautiful vintage-inspired kitchen in her Arts & Crafts-style San Anselmo home. Jean is no stranger to the food industry; she has worked in it for 30 years and maintains a website called My Recession Kitchen. The kitchen is very tiny, but it makes wonderful use of the space with floor-to-ceiling cupboards, a built-in tool rack, and slide-in extra counter space.In addition, she extended her space-saving skills to the backyard, where she has managed to find room for a vegetable garden, several fruit trees (almond, peach, apricot, and apple,) raspberry bushes, grape vines, strawberry pots, and even asparagus! She also has a huge blackberry patch and a goji berry bush.
I loved the beautiful marble counter tops and back splashes and Jean's lovely collection of vintage blue-tinted Ball jars and her jadeite dishware.
While I was there she baked a wonderful pear and chocolate scone. She keeps her youthful appearance by eating a diet of whole grains, fresh produce, and raw foods. Below she discusses how her kitchen came together:What inspires your kitchen? What’s ripe in the garden or what’s in season in the market.
Favorite tool or element:
Favorite tool: Blend-tec Blender
Favorite element: Ball jar rack
Biggest challenge in your kitchen:
Space to store equipment and space to cook.
Dream tool or splurge:
KitchenAid Stand Mixer
What are you cooking this week?
• Roasted potato and squash hash
• Pear chocolate chip scones
• Tomato Soup (I got some tomatoes in the garden to use)
• Pesto to freeze for later use
• Efficient use of space in a small kitchen
• Custom kitchen tool rack and Ball jar space
• Starting my own cooking / gardening blog: My Recession Kitchen
• All cabinets were custom made by my husband Ed Greenfield (Alliance Construction in San Anselmo, CA - 415-457-2466)
• Marble countertops came from Fox Marble in San Francisco
• Kitchen tool rack was custom made by Ed Greenfield
• Stove – KitchenAid
• Refrigerator – GE
We're always looking for real kitchens from real cooks.
Submit your kitchen here.
Update! Jean has posted her Pear and Chocolate Scone recipe.
(Images: Kathryn Hill; Tara Greenfield)