What is Bittersweet Baking? The holidays are over and we're through with all that sweetness. But that doesn't mean we are forgoing dessert. This time of year we crave dark, bittersweet desserts and a rich cup of good coffee. Coffee is one of the best friends of a dark dessert, drawing out flavors you didn't know were there.
We are looking for your best bittersweet baked dessert.
We have got some big prizes in the works, and some very exciting judges. We are looking forward to seeing what you send us; we'll all be gathering deep, dark, bittersweet baking recipes just in time for Valentine's.
Runner Up: Double Shot Chocolate Cake
Runner Up: Shelly's Brownie Cookies
Bittersweet Baking Contest
We are looking for the best baked bittersweet dessert you've got. This is a baking contest (so no puddings or ice creams) but you can be creative in the interpretation of bittersweet. Does your favorite bittersweet dessert have scarcely any sugar? Does it have bittersweet ingredients? Or does hold bittersweet memories for you?
We're going to spend time over the next few weeks looking at baking, chocolate, and coffee, so come back here for plenty of inspiration!
• First place: Breville Die-Cast Espresso Machine and a package of goodies and tools on coffee and baking with chocolate
• Two runners up: Cuisinart Cup-O-Matic Coffeemaker and a package of goodies and tools on coffee and baking with chocolate
Tuesday, January 22, 12pm noon EST - DEADLINE EXTENDED
• New Deadline: Sunday, January 27, 11:59pm EST
How to Enter
Send us your best bittersweet dessert and tell us why it goes well with coffee. Your entry must include these things:
• Recipe - Must be a baked, bittersweet recipe.
• Why is this baked dessert bittersweet? Does it taste bittersweet? Does it hold bittersweet memories for you?
• Four photos - two of finished dish, and two more of the baking process
• Email recipe, photos, and writeup to: BITTERSWEETBAKING (at) GMAIL (dot) COM
• Finalists will be chosen by The Kitchn editorial team.
• Finalists will be posted the week of Tuesday, January 29 through Tuesday, February 5.
• The winner(s) will be chosen by guest judges and posted February 6-8.
Who May Enter?
• Any and all Kitchn readers, but...
• US entries only are eligible for sponsored US prizes, International winners will receive a special AT prize only (we have to avoid legal complications with gifts being given overseas)