Today: five new iPhone/iPod Touch apps for the home cook - apps that can be used on the upcoming iPad!
I just love how the Apple developer community keeps making such useful tools for cooking and food shopping. Read on to see a very useful food inventory/shopping list, a way to buy wine from your handheld, and Michael Ruhlman's useful ratio calculator.• Tap Grocer
- a grocery list that helps you keep track of items in your pantry and refrigerator. When an item is marked as "gone" in your inventory, it is automatically added to your shopping list - no need to retype it in!
• Turkey Timer - enter the weight of your turkey and mark whether it's stuffed or not, and this app will tell you how long to cook it at what temperature, and it will remind you when to baste.
• Michael Ruhlman's Ratio App - a calculator that helps you figure out how much of each ingredient you need in order to customize a recipe to serve as many as you need. Have a recipe that says "Serves 6" but you have 21 people coming? Ratio App will help you figure out how much to make.
• Wine.com - find, learn about, and buy more than 45,000 wines right on your iPhone/iPod Touch and have them delivered to your doorstep. (I ordered a case of wine while I was riding the bus!!)
• CookWell - an app for beginner/noncooks; the easy lessons ("modules") teach you how to shop, plan a menu, and create easy, healthy meals and snacks.
iPhone Apps For The Home Cook: Part IV
Three New iPhone Apps For the Home Cook - Part III
More iPhone Apps for the Home Cook - Part II
iPhone Apps For The Home Cook - Part I
TasteTimer iPhone App: 300 Settings for Tea, Coffee & Food
iPhone App: Pastatime