For use in cooking, salt cod needs to be reconstituted and then, ironically, rinsed of as much salt as possible to make it palatable. Soak salt cod in a bowl of water for several days and change the water daily in order to expunge all the salt.
Salt cod can then be used as a main ingredient in soups or as a base for pasta or risotto. It can also be made into fritters or a spread for toast. Here are a few recipes we found from around the internet:
• Bunyols de Bacalla (Salt Cod Fritters) from BBC Food
• Baccala Salad from the Food Network
• Baccala Mantecato (Savory Whipped Salt Cod Spread) from MassRecipes.com
• Cod Cannelloni with Swiss Chard and Roasted Pepper from Epicurious
• Salt Cod and Clam Stew from Chow.com
Are you a fan of salt cod?
Related: Good Question: What is Halal Meat?