What is malted milk powder exactly? It's essentially an evaporated powder made from malted barley, wheat flour, and whole milk. Originally developed as an infant nutritional supplement, today bakers and ice cream makers love it for the rich, almost toasty flavor it imparts. It should be readily available at most grocery stores (I like Carnation or King Arthur brands), and is wonderful to experiment with in the sweet and savory kitchen. Here are a few ideas:
• Malted Milk Chocolate Chip Cookies - The Pioneer Woman
• Burnt Banana Chocolate Malted Milkshake - Joy the Baker
• Malted Milk Ice Cream - Tracey's Culinary Adventures
• Chocolate Malted Cupcakes - Taste and Tell
• Vanilla Malt Pudding - Hungry Girl Por Vida
What's your favorite way to use malted milk powder?
(Image: Megan Gordon)