Christmas limas are big – about the size of a nickel – and hearty and just the right ingredient for cold weather stews, vegetarian meals, and full-bodied sauces. Here are a few recipes:
• Christmas Lima Bean Soup, Grilled Anchovies With Christmas Limas, and Warm Christmas Lima and Shiitake Salad, from Appaloosa Bean
• Christmas Lima Beans and Quinoa with Beets and Avocado, from Culinate
• Dandelion green and Christmas lima bean tacos, from Los Angeles Times
• Florida Butter Beans with Caramelized Onions and Bacon, from The Kitchn
• Stewed Christmas Lima Beans, from Purcell Mountain Farms
You can also use them in recipes that call for butter beans or simply cook them in water (see How to Cook Beans) and serve them with a drizzle of olive oil and herbs like rosemary or sage.
To purchase Christmas lima beans online, see the vendors listed in More Online Resources for Heirloom Beans. You might also check the list of growers on LocalHarvest.org. In Southern California, we purchase Christmas lima beans from Lompoc's Suncoast Farms, which sells heirloom beans at several farmers' markets.
(Image: Emily Ho)