A melon baller makes the perfect little scoop for all sorts of kitchen tasks where a knife is too unwieldy and a spoon is too flimsy. The edge on ours is also sturdy and sharp enough to easily cut through most fruits and vegetables.
Here's where we use ours:
• Cleaning the choke out of artichokes
• Coring apples
• Getting the seeds out of watermelons
• Scooping the seeds out of cucumbers
• Scraping the strings from the inside of winter squash
• Getting the pit out of plums and other stone fruit
• And of course, making the occasional melon ball!
Like we said, we don't use this tool every day, but it makes all these tasks so much easier that we'll definitely be keeping ours!
Do you use a melon baller for something other than making fruit salads?
Related: Decluttering Tip: Use It or Lose It!
(Image: Emma Christensen for the Kitchn)