1. Thaw Meat Quickly with Water - This trick has become the standard in my kitchen. Simply put frozen meat in a bowl and run cool water over it until it has thawed. Don't use warm or hot water as it will start to cook the surface of the meat.
• Kitchen Shortcut: How to Thaw Meat Quickly
2. Speed Up Defrosting by Using Granite Counter Tops - Granite has an almost magical way of defrosting frozen items sitting on it. Why? We're not sure. But give it a shot and you'll be on your way to thawed food significantly faster.
• Look! Super-Quick Defrosting on Granite Countertops
3. Soften Butter Gently in a Double Boiler - This is a problem I seem to have often. Buy extra butter. Freeze. Decide to make cookies. Uh oh. Sometimes I'll put the butter on a stove top that's hot from pre-heating the oven and, as long as I'm careful about turning it every few minutes, problem solved. But this method is less prone to ending up with a pool of melted butter on your stove.
• Quick n' Easy: Ways to Soften Butter
What are your speeding defrosting secrets?