While our family does go all out on Thanksgiving Day and Christmas Day, the meals leading up to those occasions are usually filled with simple, satisfying meals. I try to balance my mother's meat-heavy tendencies with fresh salads and seasonal fruit and aim to work in whole grains whenever possible.
But when it comes right down to it, 'tis the season of comfort eating and I give in to that around the holidays.
So here are a few seasonal suppers that should carry you through the holidays without stumble or stutter. For a heartier meal, feel free to add diced tofu or shredded chicken or pork to the salad. And while each dish is simple, the brisket does take a night in the slow-cooker, so just plan accordingly there. Otherwise, most of these recipes can be tackled easily early in the evening when you need some speedy winter inspiration.
Try a Recipe:
• Pomegranate-Glazed Salmon (pictured above) - Shiksa in the Kitchen
• Tangy Spiced Brisket - Smitten Kitchen
• Beef Carpaccio with Pomegranate - Cooking Channel
• Thai Pork and Noodles - The Food Network
• Baked Campanelle with Goat Cheese and Broccoli - Fine Cooking
• Rosemary-Fig Chicken with Port - Cooking Light
• Quinoa, Fennel and Pomegranate Salad - Bon Appetit
• Sauteed Flank Steak with Arugula, Roasted Cauliflower and Red Peppers - Epicurious
• Cottage Pie - Martha Stewart
• Classic Meatloaf - Simply Recipes
(Image: The Shiksa in the Kitchen)