A while back, we talked about which beers are best for a big party with lots of different tastes. But what if you have a special guest coming who you know to be a beer aficionado? Here are five beers that will make your guest clap with glee when they find them in the fridge.
• St. Botolph's Town from Pretty Things Beer and Ale Project - This tiny little brewing project is producing some really big flavors in their beers. St. Botolph's, an English brown ale, is one of my favorites: creamy and lush with notes of caramel, raisins, and dark bread.
• Racer 5 IPA from Bear Republic Brewing Company: When I want an IPA, this is the one I crave. It's not as tongue-twisting as some IPAs, but hits you with a big smack of citrus. The toasty malts are nothing to shake a fist at either. Just a good, solid, superbly crafted IPA.
• Troegenator Double Bock from Tröegs Brewing Company: This is a doppelbock that brings new meaning to the term "liquid bread." It's like velvet in the mouth and nearly thick enough to chew. Lots of fantastic flavors of chocolate, dried fruits, deep-roasted malts, and a touch of warm winter spice.
• Allagash White from Allagash Brewing Company: Allagash makes a fantastic wheat beer. It's crisp and refreshing with spicy notes to perk up the sweet citrusy fruit flavors. Fantastic with food.
• Rare Vos Amber Ale from Brewery Ommegang: Refined and complex, I feel like this is a beer that could give wine a run for its money. It tastes like orange marmalade on multi-grain toast with a surprise hit of nutmeg, coriander, and clove.
In truth and fairness, these are really the beers that would make me clap my hands with glee if I found them in my host's fridge.
What beer would you love to find in the fridge?