Fair warning: you will want to lick the pages of this book. Especially if the weather happens to be creeping upwards while you're reading it. The recipes in this book take our beloved childhood treat to a whole new level. We're talking fresh apricot ice cream sandwiched in snickerdoodles, palm-sized meringue cookies with blackberry ice cream, and sandwiches edges with toasted coconut. All your wildest ice cream sandwich fantasies are about to come true.
• Who wrote it: Jennie Schacht
• Who published it: Stewart, Tabori & Chang
• Number of recipes: 40
• Recipes for right now: New York Cheesecake (Cherry Cheesecake Ice Cream on Shortcrust Cookies), Summer Sunrise (Apricot Ice Cream on Snickerdoodles), My Thai (Kaffir Lime and Lemongrass Sorbet on Five-Spice Cookies), 4th of July (White Corn and Red Raspberry Ice Cream on Cornmeal Cookies)
• Other highlights: This book is all about inspiring your ice cream adventures this summer. Well, that and also making you crave ice cream sandwiches more than anything else.
Jennie breaks her recipes into several sections: classic ice cream sandwich recipes, recipes with fresh seasonal ingredients, recipes inspired by world cuisines, recipes using things like croissants and brioche buns instead of cookies, and recipes for holidays and special occasions. Within these chapters, there are a lot of mix-and-match opportunities. Swap the shortcrust cookies in the New York Cheesecake recipe for the dark chocolate cookies in the Valentine's Day recipe. Make (and eat) and of the cookies or ice creams on their own! There may only be 40 recipes in this book, but the possibilities for mixing them are practically endless.
The only problem I can see with this book is that I don't have nearly enough upcoming events that require ice cream sandwiches. This is something that will need to be remedied immediately.
• Who would enjoy this book? Anyone who loves ice cream. So...all of you. P.S. All gluten-free and dairy-free recipes are clearly marked (and there are a lot of them!)
Find the book at your local library, independent bookstore, or Amazon: I Scream Sandwich by Jennie Schacht
• Visit the author's website: Jennie Schacht
Apartment Therapy Media makes every effort to test and review products fairly and transparently. The views expressed in this review are the personal views of the reviewer and this particular product review was not sponsored or paid for in any way by the manufacturer or an agent working on their behalf. However, the manufacturer did give us the product for testing and review purposes.
(Images: Emma Christensen)