I Almost Burned Down The Kitchen When...

While cruising the old Flickr this weekend I ran across this sad picture of a now melted Nalgene bottle, caused by a grocery bag that pushed it onto a working toaster. As much as I'd like to say I'm the queen of safety first, I won't lie, I've lucked out more than a few times and own an amazing fire extinguisher.

Along this same vibe, I recently turned my electric skillet off after cooking dinner, wiped it off and set it aside. I know, most of you aren't electric skillet users, but I love mine. The next morning I arose to make breakfast and to my surprise, the pan was warm. THE PAN WAS WARM! ACK! I had left it on, holy smokes and stars and garters, I've never been so thankful for a metal prep table in my entire life — well that and homeowners insurance in case anything happened.

There's several more stories like this in my past, but I fear any more will prove me unsuitable to make my own food. Care to share your, "I almost burned down the kitchen when... " story? Leave us your bumble, fumble or holy crap moment in the comments below!

Read More: I Melted My Nalgene Bottle from Flickr

Related: Kitchen Safety: How to Put Out a Grease Fire

(Image: Flickr member soopahgrover licensed for use by Creative Commons)

You might also like

Recommended by Apartment Therapy

Sarah Trover has lived all across the Midwest and currently calls the hot dog-laden city of Chicago home. She rides scooters and seeks out kitchens that make the best pie.

51 Comments