Bon Anniversaire, Julia! Tomorrow is Julia Child's 100th birthday and all across the country people getting ready to celebrate the birth and life of this beloved icon of gourmet cooking. In my area, local restaurants are advertising their special tribute to Julia with menus which feature such Julia classics as poulet en gelée à l'estragon avec salade de laitue beurre et tomates, along with boeuf bourguignon and coq a vin.
At home, you can keep it simple and make a cheese soufflé and a salad frisee as a good friend is doing. Or you could go all out with bouillabaisse and a classic chocolate mousse for desert. Knopf is keeping Julia's voice alive by maintaining a Julia Child page on Facebook where you can find lots of recipes and ways to celebrate.
There's also a brand new Julia Child biography to tuck into (Dearie by Bob Spitz) and plenty of vintage episodes of The French Chef and Julia and Jacques available for streaming. But even if your dining on takeout burgers tomorrow, be sure to lift a french fry and declare bon appetite! in honor of this influential and beloved teacher.
Julia-Influenced Style from The Kitchn
• How I Invited Julia Child Into My Office
• What's Your Favorite Julia Child Recipe?
• Julia Child in Your Kitchen: New Posters at The COOP
• Kitchen Inspiration: Functional Style from Julia Child
• Mastering the Art of Cooking Tea Towels
• Can a Julia Child-Style Pegboard Work in My Kitchen?
Julia-Inspired Recipes from The Kitchen
• Cool Summer Soup: Vichyssoise
• How To Make Gratin Dauphinoise
• What the French Cook at Home: Cassoulet
• Birthday Boeuf Bourguignon
How will you celebrate Julia Child's 100th birthday tomorrow?
Related: Bon Appétit! Selected Julia Child Recipes Now Available for iPad and Nook
(Image: Schlesinger Library)