What You Need
3 tablespoons peanut oil
1/2 cup popcorn kernels
Heavy-bottomed pot with lid
1. Add the oil to a heavy-bottomed pot over medium high heat.
2. Add three kernels.
3. When one or more of the kernels pop, add the remaining popcorn kernels and cover.
4. Gently shake the pot over the heat source to prevent the kernels from burning.
5. Continue shaking until most kernels have popped and you can't hear many moving against the bottom of the pan.
6. Turn off the heat and continue to shake - a few stragglers will pop. Hold the lid over the pot for a few seconds in case of a last minute pop (which will send many more popped kernels flying across your kitchen).
7. Remove lid and enjoy!
• Use an oil that will withstand high heat such as peanut or vegetable oil
• If your popcorn tastes chewy try keeping the lid slightly ajar
• Keeping the heat too low will drag the cooking time
• Dress the finished product while it's still warm so the popcorn will better absorb butter, oil, and spices
Want more smart tutorials for getting things done around the home?
See more How To posts
We're looking for great examples of your own household intelligence too!
Submit your own tutorials or ideas here!
(Images: Stephanie Barlow)