Add red wine and use a spoon to scrape any browned bits off the bottom of the pan. Cook until wine has reduced in half. Add tomatoes and bring liquid to a boil.
This shredded braised beef in a rich sauce with a spicy kick tastes better than you can imagine. Really, it's that good. And cooking it in a slow cooker means you can have it ready and waiting when you come home from work!
What You Need
4 small or 2 large Poblano peppers
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 pounds boneless beef chuck roast, excess fat removed
salt and pepper
1 medium yellow onion, julienned
1 clove garlic, minced
1/2 cup red wine
1 14.5 ounce can diced tomatoes
1 tablespoon fresh oregano, minced
Large frying or roasting pan
1. Place peppers over an open flame, turning every few minutes until all sides are blackened.
2. Once peppers are thoroughly charred and softened, remove from flame.
3. Wrap peppers in tinfoil for several minutes to allow steam penetrate the skin.
4. Remove from tinfoil, cut open and remove stem and seeds. Place flat against a cutting board and gently scrape off skin with a knife until charred bits have been removed. Chop and reserve for adding later.
5. Season the beef with salt and pepper. Heat pan over high heat, add oil, and then add beef. Sear for 2 minutes on each side and set aside. Do not clean pan.
6. Add onions and cook until softened and browned.
7. Add chopped chili peppers and garlic. Cook for 2-3 minutes.
8. Add red wine and use a spoon to scrape any browned bits off the bottom of the pan. Cook until wine has reduced in half. Add tomatoes and bring liquid to a boil.
9. Pour vegetable mixture into the slow cooker and add the seared beef. Cook on lowest setting appropriate for raw meat for 6-8 hours. Meat is done when it easily shreds apart with a fork.
10. Turn off slow cooker, remove beef. Shred using two forks and return to liquid mixture. Add oregano and serve.
&bull For spicy beef, add more chili peppers.
&bull To make this recipe without a slow cooker, sear meat and vegetables in a roasting pan. Return beef to the pan after step 8, cover pan and roast in a 325 degree oven for 2-3 hours.
&bull This freezes well and is easy to reheat using a slow cooker.
&bull If you don't have a gas stove, roast the chili peppers under the broiler or by using a cast iron skillet.