Place the egg white-washed flowers on a plate with some sugar on it while you work on the rest.
If you enjoyed my previous post on edible flowers, A Roundup Of Edible Flowers, perhaps you're looking for ideas for what to do with edible flowers. How about making some candied flowers? They add a wonderful touch to desserts, and make lovely gifts. Store-bought edible flowers can be quite expensive. It is very easy to make your own, and can make for a fun project with family or friends!
What You Need
Egg whites, beaten
Clean paintbrush with a small tip
1. Pick the flowers you plan on using.
2. Line the baking sheet with parchment paper.
3. Beat the egg white until a light foam forms.
4. Brush the flower with beaten egg white, using a clean paintbrush.
5. Place the egg white-washed flowers on a plate with some sugar on it while you work on the rest.
6. Sprinkle sugar over the flowers and place them on the parchment paper. Let them absorb the sugar and then add another sprinkling of sugar.
7. Let dry at room temperature for 24 hours.
8. Layer between sheets of wax paper in an airtight container. These will keep for up to 3 days.
Choose flowers that have not been sprayed with pesticides and are safe for consumption.
Use pasteurized egg whites to avoid bacteria contamination.
Related: A Roundup Of Edible Flowers
(Images: Kathryn Hill)