We would be remiss to let Soup Week go by without an in-depth look at homemade broths and stocks — the building blocks of good soups! We've talked about the best brands of storebought broths, and some tips for getting the best out of them. But of course we always prefer the aroma and the rich flavor of real homemade broth — whether it be chicken, vegetable, beef, or shellfish. Here's a look back at all of our broth and stock tips and how-tos!
First: A Definition
Broth and Stock Recipes
Tips & Shortcuts for Making Broth and Stock
Storing Broth and Stock
Questions & Troubleshooting
• Can I Make Chicken Stock with Just Dark Meat?
• How Do I Use Mushroom Stock?
• What Can I Make With Goose Stock?
• How Can I Quickly Use 6 Gallons of Chicken Stock?
• Help! Why Did My Chicken Soup Turn Into Jell-o?
OK, your turn! Do you make stock or broth on a regular basis? Do you have any tips or hints for keeping a good supply of broth in the freezer or refrigerator? Any favorite recipes or storage solutions?
(Images: Emma Christensen)