I've never been big on traditional after-school and post-work snacks. They're tasty, but I'm more of a beverage person. It's a little known fact that the world will literally fall off its axis if you're found without a tasty drink in your hand, so that's why I'm convinced that an Orange Julius is the ultimate "kick your feet up and recharge" drink!
This makes one drink.
What You Need
1 cup milk
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
One 6-ounce can frozen orange juice concentrate
1 cup sugar (or sugar substitutes, check package for equivalence)
15 ice cubes
1. Combine Milk & Vanilla: Place milk and vanilla in blender. Pulse until combined.
2. Add Frozen Concentrate: Although it's easy to toss in the entire can at once, try using a spoon to scoop it out in sections. Add 2 ounces (approximately) each time and it will help keep everything in the blender without any risk of things sloshing out the top. If you're not worried about such things, then bombs away! Drop the whole thing right in.
3. Add Sugar & Ice Cubes: Blend until cubes are crushed and mixture has thickened. Adding five at a time can help control the mixture to make it the perfect nostalgic texture, though 15 is our own perfect number. If things end up a little thick, just add a tablespoon of water and mix once again.
4. Pour & Enjoy: Serve with a straw and sip your way into blissful happiness (also known as a fruit and sugar coma). You'll be ready to take on the rest of your evening and tackle all that the world has to throw at you.
• If you are out of fresh milk, you can substitute evaporated milk. Just dilute it 1:1 with water.
• If you don't have orange juice concentrate (or aren't into buying it), we do suggest freezing fresh orange juice into cubes or even in an 8x8 pan (and then break it into chunks). Without that added iciness, the overall texture of the drink will change dramatically and adding more ice in the end just doesn't work. You end up with a more soupy, less flavored version of the original.
More Smoothies & Milkshakes
• Mango Yogurt Smoothie
• Low Sugar, High Protein, Dairy Free Smoothie
• Green Tea Shake
• Frozen Banana-Peanut Butter-Chocolate Chip Milkshakes
• Killer Strawberry Milkshake
(Images: Sarah Rae Trover)