Breakfast burritos are all the best parts of breakfast (plus a few other meals!) rolled up into one soft and warm tortilla. The ingredients take a little time to gather together, so we usually save this one for weekend brunches. It's especially great for a crowd because each person can assemble their own burrito to taste! Here's how we make our breakfast burritos. How do you like yours?
What You Need
1 cup rice - brown or white
1 red pepper
1 green pepper
1 15-oz can black beans - or your favorite bean!
1 1/2 cups shredded monterey jack cheese, about 4 ounces - or your favorite cheese!
6 eggs, whisked
Large flour tortillas
Optional Extras: Roasted potatoes, roasted sweet potatoes, roasted poblano peppers, crispy bacon, cooked sausage
Equipment [OR] Tools
Griddle or skillet
Lots of prep bowls for holding ingredients
1. Cook your rice - We like cooking rice in a large amount of boiling water (like pasta) and then draining it at the end. Rice can be prepared the day ahead.
2. Roast your vegetables - Cut the peppers and the onions into large chunks and spread them onto a baking sheet. Drizzle them with olive oil and sprinkle with salt. Roast them under the broiler for 15-20 minutes, until the peppers are soft and all the vegetables show roasted surfaces. Check the veggies every few minutes and remove any that look done before the others. Slice all the vegetables into long strips.
3. Cook your eggs - We like our eggs soft and creamy, so we cook them slowly over low heat. You can also fry or poach eggs for breakfast burritos. The yolk splits as you roll the burrito up, covering everything with warm, runny yumminess.
While roasting the vegetables and cooking the eggs, rinse the beans and warm them in the microwave. If the rice was prepared ahead of time, also warm the rice. Set up a space on the counter where the burritos can be assembled.
4. Melt the cheese on the tortilla - Melted cheese is the key to an excellent breakfast burrito! Wipe the pan clean that was used for eggs and set it back over low heat. One at a time, warm the tortilla shells with a sprinkling of the shredded cheese. Place a large lid over the tortilla to help the cheese melt and keep the tortilla from getting too dried out.
5. Assemble the burrito - Spread a little of each filling down the center of the tortilla.
6. Fold the burrito - Fold the top and bottom of the burrito over the inside (or leave the top open, as we did), and then fold in the sides to make a neat package. Eat immediately while the cheese is still gooey!
• These instructions make enough to make 5-6 burritos, depending on how much you stuff them.
• If you have leftover tortillas, here are a few ideas for using them up: What to do with Leftover Tortillas.
(Images: Emma Christensen)