Thanks to Culinate's recent article on hosting a canning party, we're starting to feel more confident about giving it a go. Author Deena Prichep's tips for making the event run smoothly include things like staggering guest arrivals, doing all the math ahead of time, labeling everything so you don't get confused in the midst of all those people and cups of sugar, and keeping an "on-deck" pot on a low burner so you don't have to wait between batches.
We love the idea of sharing the labor, getting tips and recipes from more experienced canners, and giving friends who are new to canning a fun, non-intimidating opportunity to learn. Have you ever thrown a canning party, or is it something you might do this summer? Share your tips and ideas with us!
• Read the article: Make jam with your friends: How to host a canning party
Canning tips and recipes from the Kitchn archives:
• Hot and Steamy: A Visual Tour of Hot Water Bath Canning
• How To Make Your Own Canning Equipment
• Decorate Your Jars! Five Lovely Canning Label Templates
• Recipe Recommendation: Tarragon Strawberry Jam
• Home Canning Project: Roasted and Canned Tomatoes
(Image: Faith Durand)