Last week I showed you how to clean your oven with a mix of baking soda and vinegar. This week we’re going to tackle those oven racks and rid them of any grime before putting them back in your newly cleaned oven. It’s easy to do, and a project you can take on right alongside your oven cleaning!
If you have a bathtub and dishwasher detergent, you are set. The hardest part about this process is the inactive time, but it’s worth it. The soaking of the racks aids in softening up the accumulated gunk, making it easier to wipe and gently scrub off. I barely had to use any force, and my racks were cleaner than they have been in years.
I find it hard to remember to scrub down my oven racks, not because they are ignored, but because they are in constant use. It made me a little bit nervous to set aside an entire twelve hours where my oven was going to be out of commission. I took a deep breath, remembered I owned a crock pot (hello, quick and easy dinner), and got to work.
So, let’s draw these oven racks a nice, long bubble bath and make them shiny again!
8. Slide your clean oven racks back into your oven! All done!
How to Clean Oven Racks in the Bathtub
What You Need
Two old towels
Dishwasher detergent (powdered or liquid)
Non-abrasive scrub brush or sponge
Bar Keepers Friend (if needed)
- Lay down a towel: Line the bottom of your bathtub with two old towels. This is very important to prevent the oven racks from scratching your bathtub. Place your oven racks on the towel.
- Cover the racks with hot water: Fill your bathtub with very hot water until the oven racks are covered.
- Add dishwasher detergent: Add 1/2 cup of powdered or liquid dishwasher detergent to the bath water. Swish around until dissolved.
- Let soak for 4 hours, or overnight. Allow the racks to soak for 4 hours, or overnight.
- Brush off any remaining gunk: After soaking, gunk and stains on the racks should be soft and easy to wipe off. Use a non-abrasive scrub brush or sponge with a little Bon Ami or Bar Keeper's friend to tackle any remaining tough spots.
- Rinse: Rinse with water and dry completely.
(Image credits: Gina Biancaniello)