Love them or hate them, pod coffee systems have carved a home in the morning beverage market. If you've made the leap to this system, you know how crucial it is to keep the system brewing without issue every morning — or maybe all day, depending on your coffee habit. (We're not judging.)
However, machines getting a lot of daily use can develop clogs that can cause the system to quit completely. Here's a quick cleaning routine to keep your machine running well.
Get your Keurig running smoothly again!
How to Clean a Keurig Coffee Machine
What You Need
Clean, dry cloth
- Unplug the machine: It's a simple but important step.
- Disassemble and wash removable parts: Remove the water reservoir and lid, mug stand, and also the K-cup holder. Wash these pieces in warm, soapy water and dry.
- Wipe machine surface: With a clean, dry cloth (or a damp cloth where needed), wipe surface of machine. Don't forget the area around the K-cup where coffee and tea granules may collect. Return all removable parts and plug in machine.
- Descale with a vinegar rinse: Mix one half white vinegar and water to fill the water reservoir. Start the brew cycle without inserting a K-cup. Repeat until reservoir is empty, discarding the mug contents after each brewing cycle. This process will help remove lime and scale buildup. Keurig recommends descaling your brewer at least every 3-6 months depending on your water source.
- Repeat rinse with water: Repeat the process using only plain water in the reservoir to remove any residual vinegar taste.
Did you know that coffee and sleep go together? Watch the video!
A Few Extra Notes
- To reduce buildup, use bottled or spring water when brewing instead of softened water or distilled water.
- Try cleaning the entry and exit needles if your system isn't performing properly. This video from Keurig explains where to find and how to clean these parts.
- Forcing air through the water line by using a straw can help dislodge debris.
- Just want to clean your regular coffeemaker? See our tutorial here.
(Image credits: Erika Tracy)