• Use a lid: If you've ever watched a grill cook make a grilled cheese you've seen the lid they place over the sandwich. Covering the pan helps melt the cheese before the bread burns.
• Choose your cheese wisely: American cheese may be the classic, however, using a cheese with more flavor will make for a tasty grilled cheese. Avoid very mild cheeses unless you plan on adding condiments or other fixings (such as mozzarella paired with tomato, and basil).
• Transfer to a rack: Unless you're serving straight from the pan, let the grilled cheese sit on a rack rather than a plate, where the bread will steam and lose its grilled crispness.
• Switch up the bread: Just because you grew up on Wonderbread and American cheese doesn't mean you have to stick with it! Try using English muffins, cinnamon raisin bread, or rosemary focaccia.
What are your favorite tips for stellar grilled cheese?
• Read more: How to Ruin a Grilled Cheese at Food & Wine